Use these 6 steps before you move to declutter and prepare yourself for moving success.
1) Start early.
2) Set aside enough time. You can start sorting
your unwanted items into “purge piles” before you even list
your home. Allow an hour or two planning and
and then an additional two or three hours per room to
declutter and clean. Don’t forget about your outside spaces
including sheds & outdoor play areas.
3) Clean out your closets. Set aside any clothing you haven’t
worn in a year or more. Consider donating to the local
hospital auxiliary, Salvation Army Outlet or the Annual Realtors
4) Dig into storage rooms (and the crawlspace). If there’s
something that has been sitting in a box for years don't take
it with you to your new home, as it will only add to your clutter!
5) Get rid of large items. If you have old furniture or bulky items
you don’t need, dispose of them well before moving day so you
aren’t left with the task the day of.
6) Haul it away! Once you’ve sorted everything you want to sell
and/or donate, take that last “Haul it away” pile and call up a
friend with a pick-up truck or contact one of the local
tradespeople who provide this disposal service.
Now relax, and look forward to relocating in your new, less cluttered home!